Skip to main content

Maintaining Optimism in Uncertain Times

I hope the title doesn't mislead you--I have not found the path to the fountain of optimism. On the contrary, I'm wondering what people do, what can I do, to maintain a cheerful attitude in these strange and uncertain times?

I think there are some folks who thrive on a bit of uncertainty. They see a wide open future with the opportunity to take risks and chances they never would have before and reap the benefits. I think there are others who always manage to get by. Those who are like cats, landing on all fours no matter how high the drop or how long the fall.

I don't think I'm either of those people. And maybe I'm overestimating the number of folks like that who exist. But what I have to believe is that there are people out there who have learned how to lessen their anxiety despite the economic and social rollercoaster we've been forced to ride these past months.

I am in constant fear of losing my job, of not being able to pay my bills, of having no means to support myself. I know there are others like me. So, what do these others do?

Honestly, I'm asking. At this point, I'll take just about any advice anyone decides to throw my way. And yes, I do already know all the cliches (what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, God only gives you what you can handle, leap and the net will appear ...), I could go on and on. But does anyone have any concrete solutions? Things they've tried that have worked?

If so, please leave a comment, if only to give me a little hope. Lately, the glass has been half-empty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Media Revolution Will Be Digitized

Hello, my name is Megan and I am addicted to media.  There, I said it. I am and have been addicted to media for quite some time. I amassed mountains of books in my youth, going so far as to create my own card catalog to keep track of them (for those of you younger than 25, ask your older colleagues what that means). In second grade, I pretended to edit a magazine, recruiting an editorial board and holding "story" meetings. Our magazines were actually blank pages full of scribbles stapled into manilla folders, but hey, we were generating some good content. When I got older, I started to appreciate other types of media, namely newspaper. There was always a newspaper in our house on the weekends when I was growing up, I was used to the smudgy fingers and ad circulars, the horoscopes and the crosswords, and especially the comics. During my "Garfield" phase I cut out every strip that was in the paper and saved them. Yup, every one. In college, I was lucky en...

The Only Thing Worse Than Being Blind Is Having Sight But No Vision

Helen Keller was made of strength and perseverance. I remember first reading “The Miracle Worker” in high school and being completely taken by not only Annie Sullivan’s commitment to helping Helen, but also Helen’s true isolation until the woman came into her life. The quote, "The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision,” could be interpreted multiple ways. For me, vision is what drives us forward. It’s a form of curiosity, imagination, and creativity. If you don’t have any vision or you simply choose not to use it, you’ll never expand beyond your current life experience.  Albert Einstein, another hero of mine, has a few quotes along these same lines. The two that I refer to the most often are: “Imagination is more important than knowledge;” and “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.” What would have happened if Einstein had simply chosen not to push himself? What would have happened if Helen Keller simply learned ho...